Frankfort boys edge Keyser 2-1 for third win over Tornado

Staff Writer
Mineral Daily News-Tribune
Frankfort goes for a goal against Keyser.

By Chapin Jewell

Tribune Correspondent

SHORT GAP - Frankfort and Keyser’s boys first did battle on the soccer pitch this season on the grass at Frankfort on Sep. 10. It was a hard-fought match that saw Frankfort edge Keyser 3-2. Fast forward two weeks (Sep. 24), this time on the turf at Keyser, Frankfort again beat Keyser, this time by a comfortable four-goal margin of 6-2.

On Monday, Oct. 5, the two Mineral County rivals met again, this time back on the grass at Frankfort. This third matchup played out much like the first battle at Frankfort, as the host Falcons again edged Keyser by one goal, this time 2-1.

The game began as a very tight contest, with neither team able to gain any advantage for the first 30-plus minutes. Despite winning the majority of balls in the field and having more offensive looks, Keyser could not take advantage of the advantages the worked for. In fact, despite being outplayed to that point, it would be Frankfort that struck first blood.

With 8:45 remaining in the first half, Frankfort was awarded a penalty kick off a Keyser hand ball. Levi Sgagerro delivered the penalty kick strike into the right side of the net to give Frankfort the 1-0 lead.

Almost exactly four minutes later, at the 4:46 mark of the first half, Cameron Lynch delivered a second goal for Frankfort to put the Falcons up 2-0, a lead that would stand as the two teams rested at halftime.  

The 2-0 Frankfort lead would extend for almost 30 minutes into the second half before Keyser’s Alex Stanislawczyk struck the back of the net with 11:27 remaining in the contest. Suddenly, the Frankfort lead was no longer comfortable and the two teams were set for battle down the stretch. The home standing Falcons, however, would bend but not break in earning the 2-1, victory, their third in as many tries against Keyser this season.

“Keyser gave everything they had.  For some reason, we were very low energy today. It took us 20 minutes to get started and then we faded at the end.  That nearly cost us the game,” Frankfort coach Patrick Brett stated after the contest.

According to Brett, “With high school kids, it happens.  But, you know, with varsity soccer, you’ve got to be at it for the whole game. If you’re not at it for the whole game, they’ll find you out. We got out with a win which I’m really pleased about, but I thought we were just so low energy today.”

“I didn’t necessarily expect three wins against Keyser before the season, I thought it was going to be close. In fact, we’ve had two one-goal games, 3-2 and 2-1. So, it has been closer. We just seem to have the edge in certain positions. But, they gave us a hard game again,” Brett stated.

With the loss, Keyser falls to 3-5 on the season in advance of their home matchup with Hampshire tonight at 7 p.m. With the victory, Frankfort ends the regular season with a record of 7-2.