By Liz Beavers
Tribune Managing Editor
BURLINGTON - Michael L. Price Sr., longtime employee and most recently CEO of the Burlington United Methodist Family Services, was honored recently upon his retirement.
An invitation-only, socially-distanced crowd gathered at the gymnasium on the BUMFS Burlington campus to honor the 24-year employee who spearheaded many expansion projects for the agency, including the purchase and renovation of the Alkire Mansion Group Home, SARAH’S House, and the Staggers House Recovery Center.
Chris Mullett, who has stepped into the CEO position at the agency, welcomed those present for the program.
West Virginia state delegates Ruth Rowan and John Paul Hott were in attendance, and presented Price with a legislative citation. Kimberly Rolls presented Price with a citation from Gov. Jim Justice, and Pastor Cheryl George presented him with a citation from United Methodist Bishop Sandra Steiner Ball.
BUMFS employees Matt Everline and Kathryn Nichols then made a special presentation, announcing that the on-campus school would be renamed in Price’s honor - The Michael L. Price Sr. Burlington Center School.
Price began working for BUMFS as a treatment associate in 1996, and since that time has worked as case manager, operations supervisor, treatment plant operator, program manager, trainer/CQI, and vice president of the Burlington campus, prior to being named president/CEO in 2011.
The following are projects that have been built, purchased or completed during his time as president/CEO:
- Building of the Beckley Chapel/Darby Cline Complex (residential treatment program)
- Building of the Burlington Center School
- Brenda’s House located in Old Fields (for small children 5-10 years old)
- Staggers Recovery House (drug recovery for ladies)
- Martinsburg Office Complex (community based services)
- Grafton Office (community based services)
- Keyser Main Street Office (SARAH’s House and Parents as Teachers)
- Alkire Mansion (for Level II boys)
- Antioch project (increasing the facilities for women with children residential treatment programs/Staggers Recovery Program )
- Purchased the Wilson/Bane Building.
The following are a list of programs that have been started or taken since Mike’s time as president/CEO:
- Parents as Teachers
- Staggers Recovery Program
- Safe at Home
- Took over two Regional Lead Agencies
- Community Engagement
- Social Necessity
- Community Based Therapy
- WV Impact